Chinese mara cake
Nov 11, 2021
Chinese Mara Cake is traditionally made with lard and a lot of sugar, not to mention time consuming as it has to be left for fermentation overnight. Here is a quicker, healthier spin to this delicious goodie without compromising its taste! It is perfect for breakfast, snack, or dessert.
Prep Time: 15 mintes
Cook time: 22 minutes
Total Time: 37 minutes
Serving Size: 6" cake mold, 8 slices.
|110g||evaporated milk/ coconut milk|
|50g||Yóu Yóu tea seed oil|
|1 tbsp||baking powder|
|1 tsp||baking soda|
- 6 inch cake mold
- Brush for oil brushing
- Steam rack
- Boil enough water in the wok in preparation for some steaming action.
- Brush oil on the inner layer of the 6 inch cake mold.
- Place the black sugar into a heat proof bowl and put the bowl into a larger bowl of hot water.
- Mix in the room temperature milk of choice.
- Pour the mixture into the eggs and mix.
- Slowly incorporate the oil into the mixture and mix until fully incorporated.
- Sift the flour, baking soda and powder in in 3 intervals .
- Make sure the mixture is completely mixed well. It should have a thicker texture.
- Pour the mixture into the mold and place into the wok on top of the steam rack (Make sure the water is boiling in the wok!)
- Steam for 22 minutes or until cooked! (a toothpick should come out clean)