FILIPINO SWEET POTATO LEAF SALAD
By Philippe Trinh (@whiskeyandbooch)
FEBRUARY 22, 2022
These blanched spinach-like greens along with fresh, colorful, ripe tomatoes and red onions are tossed with a savory-sweet and tart fish sauce vinaigrette. This simple salad is made in many Filipino homes.
Prep Time: 5 mins
Cook Time: 5 mins
Total Time: 10 mins
Serving Size: 2
|1 bundle||sweet potato leaves|
|1||large tomato, diced|
|2||shallots (or 1 medium red onion), peeled and sliced thin|
|2 cloves||garlic, peeled and minced|
|1 tsp||sesame oil|
|1 thumb||ginger, shredded|
|1 tsp||fish sauce|
|2 tbsp||You You Tea Seed Oil|
|1-2 tsp||bagoong alamang (shrimp paste), optional|
|to taste||fresh cracked black pepper|
|1||Thai red chili pepper|
- Pick the leaves from the stems. Wash under cold water and drain.
- Set a pot of water to boil and par boil for about 20 seconds until just wilted and place into ice water bath for about 30 seconds until cold. Drain and pat dry.
- In a bowl: combine sweet potato leaves, tomatoes, shallots and bagoong alamang to taste.
- In measuring cup: lightly mix vinegar, garlic, fish sauce, oil, sugar, salt and pepper.
- Taste dressing and adjust salt/fish sauce/sugar to taste.
- Plate salad, pour dressing over salad and toss to combine.
- Garnish with fresh black pepper and a couple slices of Thai red chili peppers.